Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Quilled Wall Hanging

A few years ago I was given a lovely 3-D quilled project in an 8 x 10 shadow box. My friend Julie didn't make it this, but when she heard I loved quilling, she let me have this wall hanging. Basically, it served as inspiration for my first big project.






Here is what I came up with as a Christmas gift for my mom. I used an 8 x 8 black shadow box. I made the windows and shelf from small dowels which I cut, sanded and painted. The rest of the project was made with paper, pins and glue.
I came up with all of the birds and insects. They are my favorite parts of the design. My mom loves hummingbirds, so I knew that I needed one of those, complete with a hummingbird feeder. The bird bath is my other favorite part. The water in the bird bath is tacky glue and blue food coloring mixed together. I like how it turned out. It took an entire month to make, whenever I had a chance to sit down and do it. It was hard to give away after all of that work, but at least I've got pictures, and I can visit it whenever I'm in California.






No comments:

Post a Comment